Friday 12 October 2012

Steamed Chicken with various Chinese Goodies

So someone came home with a less than satisfactory blood test results which meant I had to tweak our diet to improve it. Black fungus has been touted to be able to reduce high cholesterol so I was looking for recipes to use this particular ingredient. 

I didn't expect to like this dish so much, but I do. It was easy to fault to prepare and so delicious. It reminded me of those braised chicken wings my mother would make. This is definitely going to be one of the dishes I will keep coming back to when I want a fail proof comfort meal and I hope you will like it as much. Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you off. I just figured since I needed to rehydrated the black fungus I might as well throw in some other stuff as well. You can feel free to opt out any of the dried ingredients. I would recommend including the mushrooms as it soaks up the amazing gravy and is just a joy to bite into.

Steamed Chicken with various Chinese Goodies

- 1 whole free range chicken chopped into pieces
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing rice wine
- 2 tbsp premium oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soysauce
- 4 pieces dried shitaki mushroom
- 4-5 pieces black fungus
- 1 tbsp dried wolfberries
- few strands of dried lily buds
- 1 tbsp ginger thinly sliced


Wash and pat dry the chicken pieces. Put them into a bowl and add the rice wine, soysauce and oyster sauce to it. Massage the marinade into the chicken and leave it in the fridge for an hour. In another bowl, place the dried products and fill it with warm water. Set it aside for about 20 minutes. After 20 mins, wash all the ingredients. Slice the mushroom (sans mushroom stems as they are too tough to be eaten) and black fungus. Place the rehydrated ingredients into the bowl with the chicken. Steam chicken dish for 30mins. You then have a healthy and delicious dish which will have you go mmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment