Thursday 12 April 2012

Hot Doug!

Chicago is well known for their hot dogs and deep dish pizza, so these 2 were on our must try list. Yelping hot dogs for Chicago gave us Portilla Hot Dogs as the most reviewed with an overall 4 stars rating. Thing is we have one in Buena Park and it seems silly to go Chicago to have something we can eat here. So I turned to my trusted google and found Hot Doug. It is located beyond the city center but nothing too far that the awesome public transportation in Chicago cannot take you to. An approx 45 minutes and 2 bus rides later we arrived slightly before 11am and there was a short queue and the seats were mostly taken.

We decided to choose the specialties since other regular hotdogs can probably be gotten in other places. I ordered the pork with sundried tomatoes and basil while he ordered chicken sausage with cheese and bleu cheese on top. An order of fries is a must and I'm glad we came on a weekday when duck fat fries were not available otherwise I would have a very hard time resisting them in the name of health.

Our order came shortly and we dug into it happily. I was careful with my first bite, not wanting to squirt out oil. To my surprise the hot dog was not oily at all. The basil and tomatoes added a refreshing twist to the sausage, the whole combination worked well and i couldn't get over the fact that it wasn't greasy! His hot dog was oozing with cheese from within and the bleu cheese added a much welcomed tang. The fries were well fried and the small portion was more than sufficient for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment