Friday 11 October 2013

My Lazy / Easy Take on Taco Rice (tako raisu)

What is taco rice? Really? You have to ask me that question? The answer is in the name! It is erm basically taco on rice.

This is an Okinawan dish but the authentic one isn't quite like the one I've posted.  To learn the real way, please head over to No Recipes.  This is my take on it because I was too lazy to defrost any meat and really because this blog's objective is to show you how to make simple yet good meals with the stuff you already have!  Or so I say...

Instead of using sautéd ground beef, I decided to replace it with tofu and egg.  I only had silken tofu on hand, but using firm tofu would work as well but you should pan fry it or broil it to get it slightly toasted and crispy.  I used red leaf lettuce because, you guessed it, that was what was sitting in my fridge.   Feel free to use any greens that can be eaten raw.

Tofu Taco Rice
- Half a block of tofu
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce paste
- 1 tbsp of ketchup
- Tomatoes (amount depends on your preference)
- Raw greens
- 1 fried egg
- Half an avocado
- Mayo (optional)

Slice or cube the tofu.

Fry the egg.

Chop up the tomatoes and the greens.

To a plate of rice, add the tofu and drizzle some soy sauce paste and ketchup on top. Add the tomatoes and greens. Add the fried egg and top it off with the sliced avocado. Squeeze some Japanese mayo aka kwepie if so desired.



Fyi for the cholesterol conscious, I managed to find a yolk less asian mayo which tastes really good at an asian grocery store.


Enjoy your own take on taco rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment