Friday 28 October 2011

Lipsticks

I have been, and still am, going through a retail therapy phase. I wanted to come across as a more serious professional rather than just look like I have just rolled outta bed. So, I've been adding items to my would like to have list. My mum always says a woman should at the bare minimum put on lipstick as it it just common courtesy. I've never been a fan of lipstick. I find it hard to find a color I like and I hate the constant reapplying or having hair stuck to your gloss issues to deal with. Nonetheless, they are cheap and it has been said that even in recessions, lipstick sales hold up as women would still buy inexpensive items to satisfy their vanity.

I wanted a barely there look, something that will look good but isn't high maintenance. I looked online and found great reviews for Clinique's chubby stick and colors look very neutral, nothing screams tramp. Looking at color swatches online, I was fairly certain I will be getting either Super Strawberry or Chunky Cherry.  When I tried those on, they seemed too bright on me and clashes with my skin color.  In the end, I left with Graped Up.  The color is very similar to my natural lip color so that fulfills my barely there criteria.


Next day, I went to Ulta, hoping to get a NYX or Rimmel lipstick since they are so cheap and have great reviews.  Since I wasn't able to try the lipsticks on my lips, I was apprehensive about buying some color that looks nice on its own but may not match well with my skin tone.  Not wanting to play safe and get a natural pink shade, I stumbled upon L'oreal's lipgloss.  The Candy Apple caught my eye (I've been on a red/fuschia binge).  The color is very pigmented and looks harsh if I apply too much.  However, a little goes a long way.  If I apply a regular layer and then blot it off with a tissue or just apply a thin layer, I get a red tinted look, kinda like Benetint.


No comments:

Post a Comment